Duration: 22 Days
Island Peak is one of the most elusive peaks in the region due to its challenging location situated above the Chukung Glacier. This difficult trek requires climbers to climb a steep glacier, travel through a mixed rock and ice wall and pass through a narrow ridge to claim one of the most exciting peaks in the region. Combine the traditional journey to Everest Base Camp with the added excitement of summiting and isolated Peak as you pass through traditional villages, monasteries and harsh terrain while enjoying the scenic highlights of the Khumbu Region. This trek requires previous trekking experience and a good level of physical fitness.
- Destination: Nepal
- Activities: Peak Climbing
- Duration: 21 + Days
- Region: Chukung Glacier
- Max. Altitude: 6189m
- Best Season: Spring / Summer / Autumn
- Group Size: 02+ Pax
Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300m/4,264ft)Upon your arrival to the airport, you will be greeted by the friendly Good Karma Trekking staff who will escort you to your accommodation in Kathmandu. After settling in and exploring the streets of Thamel, we will arrange a special welcome diner featuring local specialties to introduce you to the city and the Good Karma team.
Day 2 Kathmandu Sightseeing (1,300m/4,264ft)Today we will take a tour featuring the highlights of Kathmandu including several UNESCO world heritage sites such as Durbar Square and Pashupati temple before visiting Sqayambhunath, and Buddha Nath, which is one of the largest Buddhist stupas in the world. After lunch, we will hold a briefing with your trekking guide addressing any questions or concerns you may have about your trip.
Day 3 Kathmandu to Lukla (2,800m/9,184ft)We will take a scenic flight offering view of tremendous mountain peaks before arriving in Lukla, which serves as the gate to Everest. After meeting our team, we will trek through Lukla to Phakding with an optional trip to a near by monastery for those interested.
Day 4 Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3,440m/11,283ft)Today features a relaxing hike with several river crossings as we pass through Jorsale into Sagarmatha National park before arriving in Namche Bazaar. Namche Bazaar offers excellent views of Kwangde Peak, Kusum Kangaru, Mt. Everest, Lhotse and Tawache as well as several other notable Kumbu peaks and mountainsn.
Day 5 Namche Bazaar: Acclimatization Day (3,440m/11,283ft)This is a scheduled 'acclimatization' day for the trek. It is advisable to stay active and keep moving during the acclimation period to familiarize your lungs with the thing air. We either spend the day taking a day hike to Thame or visiting Khunde or carry out relaxed exploration of Namche Bazaar itself. Namche Bazzar is the main center of the Everest (Khumbu) region and has government offices, ATMs, Internet cafes, shops, restaurants, a bakery and a colorful market each Friday Saturday evening. We will travel to the Tourist Visitor Center near Sagarmatha National to learn about the first climbers in Everest, Sherpa culture and the various plant and animal life of the Everest region. We also take an interesting side trip up to Khumjung to climb up to the famous airstrip at Syangboche offering timeless views of the highest mountains on Earth. The Khumjung valley is surrounded by the snowy peaks of Kongde and Thamserku and the sacred peak Khumbila which hosts a well-known monastery that houses a yeti scalp. We will stay overnight in Namche Bazaar.
Day 6 Namche Bazzar to Tengboche (3,870m/12,694ft):We continue our scenic route offering views of Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse and close up sights of Thamserku along a path offering the chance to spot wild pheasants, deer, and thar on the way to Kayangjuma. We pass a major three-way junction before passing through a series of small villages. We will stop for lunch at Phunki Thenga and continue along a steep path through dense forests offering several unique vantage points before reaching our teahouse in Tengboche.
Day 7 Trek to Pheriche (4,200m/13,776ft)We will continue through a forest before crossing the Inja Khola River to reach the town of Pheriche. We will take time to admire the region from several beautiful vantage points while visiting the local gompa and mani wall.
Day 8 Rest day in Pheriche (4,200m/13,776ft)We will take another acclimation day offering the opporutinity to visit a pristine lake, the walls of Cholatse and Tawache or the Dingboche ridge. Alternatively, you can take a day to rest and explore the town learning about the local customs.
Day 9 Trek to Lobuche (4,930m/16,170ft)We will trek along the terminal moraine route leading to the Khumbu Glacier on the way to the famous Chupki Lhara ridge known for its stone monuments and prayer flags. We continue along the glacier to see the peaks of Khumbutse, Lingtren, Pumori and Mahalangur Himal before continuing along a peaceful stream leading to Lobuche.
Day 10 Lobuche to Gorak Shep (5170 m/16,961ft)We continue along a steep path along the Khumbu Glacier past a famous pyramid shaped signpost offering views of Everest, Pumori, Lingtern, Khumbutse and Nuptse. We continue along the Changri Glacier known for its panoramic 360-degree views of snowy mountain peaks and ridges. Upon arrival at Gorak Shep, we will see one of the highlights of the trip with a close up view of Everest towering over the regional landscape.
Day 11 Trek to Everest Base Camp (5364m/17,594ft)After an early breakfast, we hike along the historic trail to Everest Base Camp following in the footsteps of mountaineers such as Sir Edmund Hilary before returning again to Gorak Shep for the night. We will enjoy one of the best sunset vantage points in the country after a brief hike to Kala Patthar.
Day 12 Trek to Dingboche (4,410m/14470)ftToday we hike along a descending path to Duglha stopping to rest and enjoy the scenery. We then continue to the village of Dingoche for the night.
Day 13 Trek to Chukhung (4,730m/15,518ft)We move along a gradually rising trail for a few hours to reach the village of Chukhung. We will stop at a scenic vantage point along the way offering timeless views of the islands peaks for the first glimpse of our ultimate destination.
Day 14 Trek to Island Peak Base Camp (5,200m/17,060ft)We continue along a riverside trail for 3 hours along the southern face of Lhotse. A relaxed day of hiking takes us along the Inja glacier serving as the entry point to the Island Peak.
Day 15 Trek to high camp (6,189m/20,305ft)We will take a short trip up toward island peak and take extra time to prepare for our trip to the peak the following day.
Day 16 Ascent to Island Peak (6,189m/20,305ft)We continue past our high camp along a very narrow ridge leading to a remote glacier. We will assemble our climbing gear and continue with the assistance of ropes and crampons to climb the thick and powerful glacier. We then move along a steep snow covered terrain along a ridge leading to the island peak summit. Upon arrival to the peak, we will enjoy spectacular views of Lhotse looming over the Everest region. We will continue back along our previous route and finish the day at Island Peak Base Camp
Day 17 Spare DayToday is a scheduled extra day used as a precaution in case of severe weather or poor visibility. You may either rest or explore the area surrounding base camp depending on your preference.
Day 18 Trek to Pangboche (3,985m/13,074ft)WE continue to descend along our previous trail to Chukhung. We will take a relaxed hike before stopping in Dingboche for lunch. After admiring the local views, we will continue to Pangboche to make camp under the star light sky.
Day 19 Trek to Namche (3,440m/11,286ft)We will pass through the highest settlement in the region through the town of Pangboche before reaching the peacefull village of Tyangboche. This town is home to the largest monastery in the region before continuing down a steep trail along the Dudh Kosi River through a region famous for wildlife including goats, leopards and pheasants. We will pass the army base of Namche before continue back to the Bazaar for a much earned night of rest and relaxation.
Day 20 Namche Bazzar to Lukla (2,800m/9,186ft)We continue down a steep trail through rocky terrain through the same path we took previously while enjoying contrasting views of the other side of the Himalayan Range. Passing through a series of small villages we will see prayer stones and flags along the way before our arrival in Lukla.
Day 21 Lukla to Kathmandu (1,350m/4,428ft)We will fly back to Kathmandu where you can relax in the hotel or continue to explore the city. Today is a great time to do some shopping or exploring the countless temples and markets of the city. We will meet for a celebration diner during the evening to mark the completion of your journey.
Day 22 DepartureToday, a Member of the Good Karma team will escort you to the airport for your flight. After saying our farewells you will continue on your journey with fond memories of you adventure in Nepal.
- All airport/hotel transfers
- Guided sightseeing tour in Kathmandu
- Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu flight and departure taxes
- Accommodations in Kathmandu in Breakfast and Bed basis (Plz let us know what category hotels do you prefer)
- Teahouse/Lodge and tented accommodation during trekking and climbing session
- Three times meals in Mountain: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner,
- All ground transportation as per the itinerary program by private vehicles
- All necessary staffs with experienced English speaking climbing and trekking leader (guide), cook, assistant climbing leader, Sherpa porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers:1 porter), other helpers as per requirement for the climbing section including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- All necessary paper works; trekking permits & Climbing permits
- Down jacket, four seasonal sleeping bag, Good Karma Trekking duffel bag, t-shirt, and trekking map (down jacket and sleeping bag are to be returned after trip completion or if you have your own and wants to bring you are also welcome .)
- Group Mountaineering climbing and camping equipment for climbing part high quality North Face or Mountain Hardware tents for camping and kitchen, dining, toilet tents, mattresses, kitchen equipments
- Travel and rescue arrangements
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Exclusive Medical Kit Bag
- All government and local taxes
- Nepal Visa fee
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Altitude chamber (PAC) or oxygen
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu(and also in the case of early return from mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottled or boiled water, shower, heater, etc.)
- Tips for guides and porters
Marshyangdi River RaftingMarshyvangdi is an excellent aventure packed trip offering very steep and challenging rapids along the…
Duration: 3 Days
Trishuli River RaftingThe increasing popular Trisuli River offers views of farming valleys and large gorges with regions…
Duration: 1 to 3 Days
Day hiking near KathmanduChampadevi: Roughly 2300 meters in elevation the pilgrimage includes a trip to both an important…
Duration: 1 Day
A day hiking to NAGARJUNANagarjuna hill another view points close to the Kathmandu city located West of Kathmandu, the…
Duration: 1 Day
Nagarkot Dhulikhel HikingThis 3 day 2-night trek offers a chance to combine Nagarkot and Dhulikhel which are…
Duration: 3 Days
- Marshyvangdi is an excellent aventure packed trip offering very steep and challenging rapids along the…
- The increasing popular Trisuli River offers views of farming valleys and large gorges with regions…
- Champadevi: Roughly 2300 meters in elevation the pilgrimage includes a trip to both an important…
- Public transportation in Nepal can be very stressful and hectic and many may wish to…
- Hurtling down dirt roads on a mountain bike is a popular activity for adventure seekers…
- Nagarjuna hill another view points close to the Kathmandu city located West of Kathmandu, the…
- The latest adrenaline cocktail of choice is Canyoning, an activity that involves abseiling, sliding, jumping,…
- Well known as one of the most popular hiking roots in Nepal, this 3 day…
- This 3 day 2-night trek offers a chance to combine Nagarkot and Dhulikhel which are…